Don’t knock this one until you’ve tried it! Filled with protein and healthy carbs, it satisfies a sweet tooth without refined sugars or sugar substitutes.
- 1 1/4 cup pitted dates
- 1 can drained chickpeas or 1 1/2 cups of cooked
- heaping 1/8 tsp salt
- tiny bit over 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup nut butter (I use all natural “just peanuts” peanut butter)
- 2 tbsp rolled oats
- nondairy milk to thin as needed
In a bowl, cover the dates with 1/2 cup water. Let this sit for at least 8 hours. Then add all ingredients (including the dates’ soaking liquid) to a food processor and blend until very smooth.
This can be served as a dessert dip, as a spread (maybe in between apple slices or crackers?), eaten with a spoon, mixed into oatmeal, stuffed into cupcakes, or even used to top pancakes!
I’m considering adding chopped nuts and sugar-free chocolate chips to mine…