and the beat goes on…

Between rehearsing and handling organizational tasks for the Hamilton Gay Men’s Chorus (come to our first concert “Songs for a Snowy Evening” on December 1st, 2012!), rehearsing with the church choir for our choral (December 23, 2012 at 7:30 pm) and various other holiday services, struggling with work issues and dealing with DH’s health issues, I’m having just a dandy time here!

DH is scheduled for 6 month of chemotherapy to treat his pancreatic cancer; the chemo process will entail the following steps on a weekly basis for three weeks out of four:

1. DH registers at the chemo clinic.
2. The chemo nurse takes a blood sample and checks DH‘s blood for white cell and hemoglobin count. This takes half an hour for them to run the labs.
3. DH takes his pre-chemo pills, including a steroid, anti-nausea medication and an anti-inflammatory.
4. Should DH‘s blood counts be acceptable, they order the treatment from the pharmacy. This takes an hour to mix the appropriate blend.
5. Start infusion of chemotherapy. This takes half an hour for the infusion through the IV line.
6. Rush home as quickly as possible, so DH can be as comfortable as possible when the medicine hits his system.

So far the only issues he’s had are fatigue and flu-like symptoms (weakness, aches, chills, fever). However there is a cumulative effect, they are still poisoning his body and the surgeon commented that around month two or three is when you really begin to feel “shitty”.

The chemo clinic is in Toronto, one hour away, there is a cancer care center here in Hamilton, however we had appointment there on Monday – the doctor we saw just graduated in June and, needless to say, both DH and I were a wee bit anxious of having a youngun with no experience handling his treatment. While his treating oncologist will still be the doctor in Toronto who works with the transplant clinic…we were unsure.

The decision was pretty much made for us when the doctor arrived 2 and a half hours later than the scheduled appointment date and lamented about how complex DH’s case was. During the oral history and discussion of the case, the doctor visibly rolled his eyes twice at DH’s complaints and also was quite sarcastic at times. They had drawn blood in case of a possible treatment on the next day, however the doctor all but confirmed he would be unable to get permission to release the required medication and that he should continue with his scheduled treatment in Toronto.


When DH got to the cancer clinic in Toronto, they did not have the blood lab results and they requested them once again from the Hamilton clinic. Two hours later, they still were not sent. DH called me, frustrated, and asked me to call. I attempted to contact the nurse at the clinic and left several messages imploring them to have the blood tests released. Moral of the story, I convinced DH to let the Toronto clinic draw more blood and he finally got his treatment, getting home after 8pm (this was from a 2pm clinic appointment).

I attempted to contact the Hamilton clinic this morning and they refused to let me leave a message as it wasn’t an emergency. I’d rather leave a message as I do NOT wish to speak to them at the moment as their refusal to release the information caused a needless test to be redone and required further discomfort to DH. Whither “do no harm”?

On the plus side, my niece who is going through piano lessons, passed her first examination with the Royal Conservatory of Music with first class honours and was invited to play at the provincial showcase last Saturday. Yes, as the proud musician uncle, I went to see her and enjoyed seeing her exhibit her talents and the result of a lot of hard work. I’m very proud of her!

I’ve naively agreed to perform carols for the Ottawa Street BIA (right by Cannon Coffee Co and Hat’s Wear It’s At) for their evening street festival this Friday – come to see me if the weather is agreeable!

The Gay Men’s Chorus first concert is this Saturday at the First Unitarian Church here in Hamilton. I’m singing lead solo in “Still Still Still” (a beautiful Christmas Carol), playing guitar for a song I arranged for the chorus ( for the original song and story – the songwriter donated it to us) as well as singing in the chorus proper and assisting the accompanist on various keyboards…we are also doing the World AIDS Day Vigil on December 3 and the St. Catherines LGBTQ Winter Solstice service on the 21st.

Lah dee dah di deeee!


One thought on “and the beat goes on…

  1. Pingback: happy freaking holidays from mykesworld | mykesworld

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s